Things to Keep in Mind During Halloween 

By: Dr. Michelle Nguyen 

The spookiest night of the year is quickly approaching! Halloween!  With only a few days until you have goblins, witches, and fairies ringing your doorbell, please take into consideration your four-legged furry friends. During the week of Halloween, calls to the Pet Poison Helpline increase by nearly 12 percent. Although most of us already know that chocolate is toxic to our pets, many of us don’t know about the other dangers that may pose to our pets.  Here is a list of potential hazards to our pets:

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, found in many soft and hard candies can cause hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar.

Candy wrappers can cause GI obstruction, which if severe enough, may require surgical intervention

Glow sticks, if punctured, can cause pain and irritation of the mouth.

Candy ingestion alone can cause GI upset and even pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) which can potentially become a life-threatening condition.

Candles and any open flames are dangerous and we should keep them in areas where our pets are not able to access them.

Loud noises and strangers throughout the night can make your pet stressed and may even cause them to bolt when the door is open.  It may be best to keep them in a quiet area of the house away from any open doors. Also, please remember to have some form of identification on them in the event that they run away.

Baring Boulevard Veterinary Hospital wishes you and your four-legged family a Happy Halloween!