While you are busy making your plans for Easter, please don’t forget to include your pets. Once you know the hazards, a little precaution and prevention will make the holidays a happy time for everyone.

With Easter just around the corner, the sweets we crave are just as tasty to our pets but can be deadly. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine–both of which are toxic. Signs can include excitement/hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and increased heart rate. Limiting exposure to chocolate and chocolate-containing foods is the best way to prevent accidental ingestion. Sugar-free gums and candies may be sweetened with xylitol, which can be very dangerous to your pets. Xylitol can cause life-threatening low blood sugar and severe liver damage.

Tinsel or Easter grass can be appealing, but if ingested, it can twist up in the Keep a watchful eye on the holiday plants (Lillies). While they might smell and look engaging to the eye, they can be very toxic to animals when ingested.intestines. This is a particular danger to cats and kittens, which seem to find tinsel, yarn, ribbon, and string tempting to eat.